Monday, July 11, 2011

A Royal Stampede

On my quest to embrace all that is Canadian before I depart for Korea, I decided to spend some quality time at the Calgary Stampede. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Stampede-- it's the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth. Okay, I'm a bit biased being from Calgary, but I do love this outdoor festival. I actually missed it the last two years because I was away travelling. Some highlights so far include watching the annual parade and sighting the Royal couple.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge rode through the Calgary Stampede Parade on Friday, July 8, 2011. Will and Kate were sitting in one of the dark vehicles rolling by with windows rolled down just about halfway. However, because of all of the vehicles, it wasn't until their vehicle passed me that I figured out which vehicle they were in. It didn't help that the motorcade went by pretty quickly... approx. 30 km/h for a parade! Needless-to-say, I was disappointed. I stayed to watch a bit of the parade before heading back to the train. Here are some captured moments. Enjoy :)

Calgary Stampede Parade: Cowboy hats are for everyone

A herald announces, "The British are coming!"

After making my way back to the C-train (local city train), I past the Hyatt Hotel. I couldn't believe the large number of people congregating outside. I thought--that's funny--there's no parade here... It took me a few seconds to clue in. I peered between the hedges in front of the hotel. And, there it was: the Royal transport-- flag and all! I waited outside, with many others, camera in hand. Over an hour later, I snapped this photo between the hedges.

Will and Kate leaving the Hyatt Hotel in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment